11.10.2011

Kids Say the Darndest Things

Last weekend, I went to Houston to visit my sister and her girls.  Jacob was out of town, so I didn't get to see him.  But, it was a fun girls' weekend.  I love getting to hang out with Joanie.  She spoiled me with good food, great talks, and a sleep number bed.  I can't wait to go back, again!

I wish she lived closer, but I am really lucky to have her as my sister.  

My nieces are so darn cute! 

Ava, who is three years "old", was very interested in the fact that I am pregnant.  She would point at, or touch, my belly and say funny things.  She said, "My daddy told me you have a baby in your belly," or, "Is it a baby brother or a baby sister?"  Each of these comments was without prompting, at moments I was alone with Ava, and not talking about being pregnant - so it was pretty funny. 

"What? I'm just asking..."



One of her other best questions was, "Why do you have a baby in your belly?"  I responded, "Well, do you remember your Uncle Miles?..." 

Lucy, who is ten months "new", was very polite and didn't pry at all into my personal life.  She just made me hope I have a smiling, happy baby like her. 

"Life is good when you can almost walk!"


My other nephew and niece have also made hilarious comments about my being pregnant, when they found out and since. 

Ben is seven and very knowledgeable about what to expect when the baby arrives, "Good luck with that baby," he told Miles and I as we left his house, "it's going to cry all the time!"  True that, Ben, true that.  And, thank you for the well wishes. 

"You're going to need 'em, Aunt Chell!"

Scarlett, four going on twenty-four, loves babies.  We will always remember how adorable she was with her attention to each Ava and Lucy, when they were infants.  Well, the next time she saw me after the baby announcement, she kept looking at me all funny. With hope in her voice, she finally asked, "Did you already have your baby?"  It had been one week! 

"I could definitely do it in a week - look how easy this is."

All I know, is that my baby is going to be very lucky to be surrounded with all of these fun and funny playmates as he or she (we don't know if it's a baby brother or baby sister, yet) grows up.  I had to write down their comments before I get old and forget what they said.  Plus, I will definitely need ammo to embarrass them in the future, when they get too cool for me.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for the next cutie patootie grandbaby. And don't ever say the kids will get too cool for aunts, uncles, and possibly grandparents again !

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are you talking about? I didn't know you were pregnant. I'm going to have to have a serious talk with that Miles fellow.I think he has been avoiding me.

    ReplyDelete